I'm sure everyone is staying home and being safe during this Covid-19 period and if you are thinking of what to whip up in your kitchen during this period, here are some easy meal plans!
Liz's Roast Chicken
Serves 2 | Prep time: 20 mins
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 2 pieces of Chicken Maryland
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 tablespoon of Paprika
- 1 tablespoon of Seedy Mustard
- 1/2 a lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes (for extra heat, optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 an onion sliced thinly
- Salt & Pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in a ziplock bag and let marinade for 1- 2 hours in the fridge. You can also use a whole chicken or chicken drumsticks.
Roast Potatoes & Pumpkin
- 3 baby potatoes cut into quarters
- 1/4 pumpkin cut into cubes
Pre-blanch the root vegetables in boiling water with salt on high heat for 8 mins until it is half cooked.
1. When ready to cook up your roast, pre heat your oven or mini toaster oven for 10 mins at 200 degrees celsius before putting in your tray.
2. Line your baking tray with tin foil and place the potatoes and pumpkin at the bottom. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the onions and garlic from the marinated bag on top of the root vegetables and finally the marinated chicken at the top. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and place it underneath the chicken skins. This is to ensure that your chicken will be crispy!
3. Bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius uncovered and put the oven on grill for 6 mins after that to give it a golden brown texture.
Serve with a salad of your choice on the side!
This is why I love making roasts - It's easy, smashingly delicious and there's always some leftover meat to use the next day. There are many ways in which you can utilise your meat with whatever ingredients you have in your pantry. I was craving a chicken sandwich and here's what I whipped up in less than 10 mins.
Callah Bread (Jewish traditional bread recipe, you can use the bread of your choice, I usually go for sourdough) toasted lightly layered with Mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, Fig & Onion relish with the shredded chicken, sliced baby tomatoes and a romaine lettuce!
You can always game up your sandwiches with whatever you have in your pantry!
I usually source fresh produce from my local grocers as I believe in supporting the community. Stay safe everyone and stay tuned for more recipes!